Monday, February 13, 2012

drama drama drama

A drama queen is usually the title for a students that goes "overboard" with everything.  I am all about that with my teaching of young children.  We have tough competition out there with video games and computers.  We sadly, just finished our unit of study about the sea and whales.  We celebrated all of our learning through the eyes of pirates last week . . .more drama.  I now have a new name written on a piece of paper from one of my sailors:  Kelecapdin (Kelley Captain).  Can it get any better?  I'm a little down this week, because the role of Captain was really working for me!  Taking down the cardboard pirate ship, emptying the water table filled with seashells and fish, collecting the jars of sand from around the world and putting the globe back up on the wall, all seem a little sad.  For this is where our little ones open their minds to wonder and think.  Productive talking through "play" actually leads to amazing writing and sharing of new learning.
Take a leap. . .  become a drama queen.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thinking behind the name of your blog. Your over-the-top teaching inspires me and makes me what to be even more over-the-top! I can't wait to get to know you through your slices. Thanks for joining us.
    Hugs,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelley Captain - what a wonderful role to have! Thank you for reminding us that as little ones open their minds to wonder, talking develops even more. So glad you are slicing~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MaryHelen! Just an added slice of fun! Kay

      Delete
  3. All teachers should have their dramatic moments--in a good way like yours. I wish my grandkids had a teacher like you. I'm afraid my little writer Lucas is having a bad year at school?? We have writers notebooks at my house, and he keeps one at home and at school. You know what it takes to catch their eye/attention. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grammy Tam: My kiddos love to write tickets- if someone leaves a light on or forgets to shut a locker. This might work at your house! You could even have them write reminder notes around the house- like: remember to wash your hands. Also- try getting some restaurant order pads that waitresses write down orders on. They love to take orders before their "play" dinners. Sometimes leaving the writer's notebook is a nice break for kids when at home. Keep inspiring! Drama Queen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you are giving your students a chance to immerse themselves in their studies. I wish we gave our youngest students more time to talk and play!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris, We HAVE to find a way to immerse our children in our units of study. I find that if our room "becomes" our theme through props, puppets, blocks, water table, etc., then our kids are continually THINKING and TALKING about their learning. This becomes the motivation for writing. . .and motivation seems to be the key! Drama Queen

    ReplyDelete